They’re Doing It, Why Aren’t You?
As a business owner, you are continuously searching for innovative ways to grow and develop your brand. Have you ever thought of trying mindfulness? No, I am not selling you any psycho-babble. Mindfulness is actually an effective method used by various companies to reduce stress levels and improve performance quality.
Use mindfulness to become conscious of your thoughts, emotions and sensation in a non-judgemental style. This practice can enable your staff to be more productive, allow you to be a stronger leader and enhance the overall office ambiance.
Need more convincing? No problem—let’s see what other companies are doing so you can gather tips to use for your business today.
The Meaning of Mindfulness
Psychologists define mindfulness as the state of being conscious or cognizant of something. What does that mean exactly for your business? Great question! For business standards, mindfulness is the practice of living moment to moment, and being focused and attentive to a singular task. How do you know if this is right for you in any case?
Have you or your staff members ever felt:
- Stressed while working
- Anxious or overwhelmed with daily tasks
- Difficulty concentrating and focusing on a singular goal
If so, it’s time to consider mindfulness techniques for your business!
The lack of sufficient energy impacts memory and impairs the ability to concentrate. Mindfulness can rid us of that dreaded stress, helping us have a more productive workday.
Companies That Live by It
Businesses are joining the trend of employing meditation and mindfulness into their daily office hours. It’s listed as the top trend to watch out for 2015 and for a great reason: it works! Below is a list of companies—to name a few—that use mindfulness techniques:
- Keurig Green Mountain
- Procter & Gamble
For example, Google has developed a mindfulness program titled Search Inside Yourself (SIY). It is an eight-week class that transforms the work and lives of some of the best and brightest minds working on the innovative search engine. The objective of this course is to train attention, heighten focus and increase creativity. Although no quantitative data is present, SIY participants express overall improvements in their daily lives and career.
Take Your Mind off Auto-Pilot
We’ve talked about the greatness of mindfulness, now where should you begin? Here are some quick tips to incorporate mindfulness into your daily business routine:
- Follow tutorials and videos on YouTube to guide you through short meditation sessions during the workday.
- Use HealingRadius to find the closest meditation center in your area if you wish to enjoy a longer meditation session during your lunch break.
- Place approximately two minutes of meditation time on your staff’s morning agenda.
- Implement walking meetings, lunchtime walks and walking breaks throughout the day.
To continue growing your business and improving the well-being of your staff, try these additional suggestions:
- Begin by Sharing: Self-awareness is the key to achieving an attentive workday. For example, while meditating, you may realize that you feel most stressed when you have too many projects to complete. You understand that when you make a to-do list, you feel less stressed. With that said, becoming self-aware can help you achieve a stress-free workday.
- Listening Carefully: Paying attention to what a person is saying, as well as their body language, can help you pick up on hidden messages beneath the surface. Apply this technique to your customer care and you’ll see how quickly you can provide better service.
Although small steps at first, these can be significant changes to create a more mindful work environment and to grow your business.
Did you love learning about how to grow your business with mindfulness? Let us know how you feel in the comments below or email us your own blog to share!