Summer and outdoor activities go hand-in-hand. Unfortunately, little pests like gnats and mosquitos often like to throw a hand in too. You want to break out the bug spray, but store-bought repellents are full of chemicals that leave a horrible smell behind.
Don’t worry: we’ve got you covered! Here’s how to make bug repellent mason jars with all natural ingredients so you can enjoy the outdoors without bugs or powerful chemicals.
Natural Bug Repellents
First things first, let’s talk about what you’ll be using. When it comes to keeping mosquitos and other pests away, there are plenty of plants that can do so naturally. Citrus fruits, for instance, have been shown to have substances in their peels that repel mosquitos. Lemon eucalyptus trees and lemon grass (also known as citronella) have also appeared in numerous studies as being effective at repelling mosquitoes.
DIY All-Natural Mosquito Repellent Mason Jars
What You’ll Need:
- 2 mason jars
- 10 drops lemon eucalyptus essential oil
- 10 drops citronella essential oil
- 4 rosemary sprigs
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 lime, sliced
- Floating disc candles
What To Do:
- Add even amounts of lemon and lime slices to each jar
- Place 2 sprigs of rosemary in each jar
- Fill each jar ¾ of the way with water
- Add 10 drops lemon eucalyptus EO to one jar and 10 drops citronella EO to the other
- NOTE: Do NOT mix the essential oils into the water. Lighting the candle will be enough to activate them!
- Place a disc candle in each jar.
- Light and repel!
Set these candles on the porch, when you’re out grilling, around the campfire, or wherever you’re hanging out outside this summer to keep those pests away while you’re having fun!