You’re the boss, the leader, the head honcho of your business, but it might be hard to operate without the assistance of your trusty independent contractors. They work with your customers and stand by your side in today’s competitive marketplace. So, how can you make sure you’re doing whatever you can to retain your current staff while making your business stand out from the rest? The answer: keeping them happy. You may be wondering, will a happy staff work harder and actually make a difference in the success of my business? To test this theory, Professor Andrew Oswald, Dr. Eugenio Proto and Dr. Daniel Sgroi of the University of Warwick recently conducted a series of experiments where 700-plus participants were placed into different categories. A number of participants watched comedy movie clips or enjoyed free chocolate, drinks, and fruit while others were being questioned about family tragedies. According to the results published in 2014, happiness does make people 12 percent more productive and management should strive to make their workplace emotionally healthy for their staff.
Let’s take a look at five different ways you can keep your independent contractors happy:
1. Show Respect R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Yes, you know the song. Since respect is noted as one of the most powerful ways to build and strengthen a relationship, it’s important to respect your staff if you want the same in return. One way you can show respect is through listening and trusting, and by doing so, you’re giving them the push they need to stay loyal and committed to your business’s goals.
2. Inspire and Motivate Your staff needs inspiration and help to be the best that they can be. Asking for their input and using their ideas, for example, will not only empower and motivate them, but it will lead to more productivity on their part. Give it a try!
3. Encourage Open Communication Making sure there’s an open line of communication in the workplace will keep the trust factor that you worked so hard to build in the first place. First, be flexible and responsive to staff members with problems that could affect their work or productivity. Second, share your vision and goals in detail so they can understand the big picture and see their role in a larger context.
4. Pay on Time This is where HealingRadiusPro comes into play. We can help you put together a reliable and easy-to-access payment method that allows you to pay your staff on time. If their pay is late when they have worked hard and gone above and beyond to achieve business goals, they will most likely become frustrated and leave.
5. Provide Superior Working Conditions Last but not least, creating fantastic working conditions to retain your staff is very important. Provide well-designed rooms with sunlight and an excellent work environment with regular recognition, celebrations, group training, and other forms of support. Build a big enough network of staff members through your HealingRadiusPro database so that you don’t have to worry about unexpected schedule changes. When you’re at ease, your staff will be at ease.
Keeping your staff happy is a no-brainer and claiming your profile with HealingRadiusPro doesn’t stand too far behind. Start your 30-day free trial now to access the all-inclusive HRPRO database that helps you pay on time, manage an organized calendar, keep up with birthdays and anniversaries for celebrations, and more. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to please your staff. After all, they can change the way you do business.
Allison Barfield is a content writer for Span Enterprises and has been writing since she first learned to hold a pencil, shortly after birth. After graduating from the University of South Carolina in 2013 with a B.A. in media arts she fell in love with marketing. She's been copy writing and managing multiple blogs ever since.